Many questions about the staging and imaging and its application in our vehicles. Actually, what is meant by staging? And what is the imaging? Let’s peel one by one in this article.
Note this paper is intended for the staging and imaging in the context of day-to-day and not in the context of the contest and others.
Staging can be defined as a place where musicians play music for example, on the concert stage, in the recording studio, in the pub, at the restaurant and others.
There is the derivation of staging high-stage (stage height), the width of the stage (stage width) and depth of the stage (stage depth).
The bottom line is dependent on the stage where he recorded acoustic conditions (ambience) and also influenced by the recording acoustic is reproduced.
Many systems are capable of producing a good tonal accuracy but failed to reproduce the ambience of the recording. What is the cause?
Acoustics. The acoustics are very large role when the resulting sound reproduction for example recording a song 35 choir at the Cathedral of Westminster Abbey girls who physically have stage width of 45 meters, height 15 meters stage and the stage depth ranging from soprano to alto at the front until the back 9 meters and the distance recording microphone to about 6 feet.
It would be difficult to be reproduced perfectly in the car pillar to pillar distance of just 1 meter wide as 1.4 meters high and it is only 0.4 meters.
So that required careful planning and the use of quality tools to reproduce approaching its original condition.
Imaging is the position of each of the singers on the stage is clear and tangible example the lead singer in the bridesmaid on the left, on the right organ. So imaging is the content or the content sounds we hear on stage.
Here it is clear that the staging and imaging is actually intertwined, which is why often both is often juxtaposed.
So what can be done is to reproduce in proportion to the installation and settings carefully.
Generally, with the help of a first-class installation techniques, audio devices on board, accurate positioning and angling, cutting x-over, and assisted with the special kind of equalizer and DSP (Digital Sound Processor), the staging and imaging could be reproduced at least close although it does not can be perfect 100 percent of the original sound.
That’s what makes the writer was amazed by the skill installers in Indonesia. Because it is often achieved in full condition limitations.
So how to get the staging and imaging are step by step? Here are some tips that can be done.
1. Choose a car with a wide and flat contours of the dashboard, as much as possible the type of single cabin like MPV or SUV (but not necessarily sedan could not only challenge is greater). Point to get pillar to pillar width and depth of the dashboard ideal for positioning and angling ideal.
2. Installing and setting in the Installer experienced and willing to work on this project carefully and are patient enough in doing a comprehensive setting.
3. Attach damper well on the ground floor, doors, ceilings, hood, including the fender and dashboard. Do this carefully so road noise, engine noise and mechanical noise can be reduced as low as possible
4. Select Head Units, Power, Speaker including processor with distortion and noise as small as possible so that the results are more predictable.
5. Often audition live concert and CD recording livenya use as a comparison
6. Speaker Placement, install midbass speaker, midrange and tweeter in adjacent positions and try to have a different path length thin difference between left and right speakers. Some cars I see use the kick panel to anticipate this. However, the ideal platform for high-mounted tweeters should be ear height. For that experimentation is the key!
7. Setting tonal balance first do not rush to catch up staging and imaging (on this matter will be discussed in a special article about the tonal balance). Believe that balanced tonal balance will help generate accurate staging and imaging. If using eq then use eq with independent channels with the number of bands that much in order to solve the problem at certain frequencies either peak or dip
8. Setting Crossover either passively or actively with the planned experiments, using the most optimal cut point based on the specifications of speakers. Special attention should be made on a different speaker brands and series.
9. Use the time alignment (if using processor) carefully, measure carefully and try focus on an even keel in the middle of the stage. Focus on the voice that sounded balanced on a single listening position seat position or two seats (dual listening position.
10. Write down all the process and repeat when there is a shortage in the process.
Also do not forget that the ideal staging and imaging is unimpressed sound strange, phasey and artificial. He should create a strong impression of the stage and the whole image. Well good luck, good luck!