Operation "Dirty copy-paste" - Операция "Грязный передёр"
I was configuring Autowiki features when I discovered that I need to upload some image to the wiki to test new features on it. And when I pressed "Upload file" I found that "Licensing" combobox is empty. So I couldn't add any license info to my image. I investigated this thing at commons and found out that all these "Licensing" items are backed by a licensing templates (you can't just add a list of licences, it won't work). And they are all localized (have many l10n subpages each one), and they also transclude other templates. And so, an innocent templatee turns out to be a giant tree (or network) of several hundreds interdependent templates. What to do?
I thought that it would be a big challenge to copy all these templates manually one by one from Commons, and/or to modify them to exclude unnecessary languages, Lua modules (Lua modules are not supported in Autowiki currently) and other things. But User:NirvanaBot could do that in a moment. I wrote a code in 3 evenings and now it works. It has created already about 300 templates, template subpages, tests, and template documentation pages. And it will continue with this. Just ask it to copy any useful template from Commons or Wikipedia and it will do that.
- I use not today's versions of templates to import. I use the last version before 2013-02-28. Somehow I discovered that it is a probably the date when Lua modules started to appear at Commons, but I may be mistaken. Nirvanchik (talk) 19:12, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
Я настраивал фичи Автовики и столкнулся с необходимостью закачать картинку, чтобы на ней тестировать эти фичи. И я нажал "Upload file" и обнаружил что выплывающий список "Licensing" пуст. Я не мог добавить информацию о лицензировании к картинке. Я поизучал эту тему в commons и понял, что все эти пункты работают на шаблонах (т.е. нельзя просто так скопировать список лицензий - не будет работать). Все эти шаблоны локализованы на многие языки (каждый имеет множество подстраниц локализации), и также они включают другие шаблоны. Таким образом, безобидный шаблончик превращается в огромное дерево (или сеть) из сотен взаимозависимых шаблонов. Что делать?
Я подумал, что это было бы ещё той задачкой - скопировать все эти шаблоны вручную, один за одним, из Commons, а также модифицировать их, чтобы вырезать ненужные языки, модули Lua (модули Lua не поддерживаются сейчас в Автовики), и другие вещи. Но User:NirvanaBot мог бы с этим прекрасно справиться. Я написал код за 3 вечера и теперь он работает. Он уже создал около 300 шаблонов, подстраниц шаблонов, тестов и страниц документации шаблонов. И он продолжит это дело. Просто попросите его скопировать любой полезный шаблон из Commons или Википедии, и он сделает это. Nirvanchik (talk) 18:25, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
- Я использую не последнии версии шаблонов, которые я импортирую. Я использую последнии версии до даты 2013-02-28. Я как-то определил, что это вероятно дата, когда модули Lua начали появляться в Commons, но я могу ошибаться. Nirvanchik (talk) 19:12, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
Here I'll write about technical limitations of this Mediawiki installation that I discover. Most of them are cauzed by very limited free hosting plan that I use currently. Nirvanchik (talk) 20:15, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
No Lua, no modules
Request URL's length
Request URL's length is limited but I don't know how much. At least I know that an URL request with lenth of 2300 bytes will fail. This has an influence on bots performance. Nirvanchik (talk) 20:15, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
- May be this will be interesting but on Wikipedia projects admins set this limit as 8192 bytes. See this discussion. Nirvanchik (talk) 23:36, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Maximum execution time of 30 seconds
I got this error when me and my bot were trying to save a template with a contents length of 116817 bytes. It was Template:Language/ISO 639/en. I don't know what are the consequences of this. The time will show that. Nirvanchik (talk) 20:15, 5 January 2016 (UTC)
One more limitation I don't even know what it is about
I got it when was cleaned cache of a new template Template:Cc-by-sa-4.0 after changing some localized message that was part of it. From that time I wasn't able to see this template. Mediawiki shows "Internal error. Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.", or sometimes "Database error. ..." (localized to Russian), or something else. I don't know why this happens and how to fix this. Working hard. Nirvanchik (talk) 21:39, 3 February 2016 (UTC)
- Today I managed to run jobs from the jobs queue, it reduced from 700 to 19 and the problem was fixed. Nirvanchik (talk) 17:41, 4 February 2016 (UTC)
The only SVG that exists on the wiki now is it's official logo: File:Autowiki Logo.svg -> . I have to disable SVG uploads becauze it's not possible to automatically generate PNG thumbnails. This requires PHP methods proc_open and symlink but they are disabled by Autowiki current hosting provider. Nirvanchik (talk) 22:44, 27 November 2016 (UTC)